A number of small projects were begun over the past several months. Some were intentional, and others were forced upon us by fate. I told myself that we would be much further along with these projects by now…much like I was supposed to have already begun taking my architectural licensing exams. Here’s a list of the loose ends yet to be tied: Continue reading
If you are a fellow old house owner dear reader, then you well know to expect the unexpected, or have learned to not be surprised. This past year was, not surprisingly, full of such lessons…so we rolled up our paint stripping tattered sleeves and got to work. What follows in a brief accounting of all of the repair detours we made or identified for next year.
Winter, as many know here in upstate New York know, quickly accelerates into Summer, and so, our plans for uncovering the original siding from beneath its plastic exterior briskly came to reality. As I may or may not have mentioned Kit and I are members of the Young Urban Preservationists who are a group of 20 to early 40 somethings who celebrate our region’s rich history through a diverse offering of events which we plan and execute ourselves. One of our fellow YUP’s and cofounder of the group itself, Caitlin Meives who works at the Landmark Society, finally got her way and convinced me to make an event out of tearing off the vinyl siding.
This past month has been a whirlwind of sprinting to get things ready for the floor refinishers who began work this week on Monday. Amazingly, by the skin of my teeth everything was ready to go by 8am Monday for the sanding, staining, and sealing mayhem to begin, but not without a few hiccups along the way. When we last left off, the two smaller bedrooms upstairs had nearly been fully painted, with only some trim and touch-up work left to be completed. The shelves for the built-in bookcase in the medium, and Kit’s favorite, bedroom still remain to be painted (hopefully I will get around to finishing them before September 1st when my not so new housemate moves in), but otherwise the rooms look finished and the colors have grown on me.
Well, I guess you should always expect that something needs to go wrong during the blissful first months of new home ownership to bring you back down to cold hard reality…and MPLMP was not gonna let me miss out on that experience. Amid the craze of summer activities, the tank mounts on the second floor bathroom toilet had begun to give way. Drip by drip water made its way down the outside of the toilet bowl and beneath the toilet where there was a concealed hole in the ceramic tile floor. The water passed through the hole to the plaster ceiling of the kitchen below building up to a point of saturation when it began to drip to the kitchen floor, and that’s when I got the phone call from Josh letting me know there was a large puddle of water on my kitchen floor and drips coming from the ceiling. He quickly shut off the water to the toilet, but I was to find out that would not stop the flow. Continue reading